Avoiding Damage to Underground Services HS (G) 47 inc. Cable Avoidance Tools
HS (G) 47 is a comprehensive training package covering what a safe system of work for avoiding underground services must take into account. The course has been designed to be highly interactive with theory and practical sessions enabling a thorough knowledge / understanding of HS (G) 47 and how cable avoidance tools can be employed in a Construction, Utility or Substation environment.
The aim of this training is to raise the delegates awareness to the following:
- The requirements of HS (G) 47 Avoiding Damage to Underground Services.
- The implications of causing damage to underground services.
- How cable avoidance tools can be used in a work environment.
- Safe methods of excavation.
- Alternative excavation techniques such as air lance and hydro excavation technologies.
Any person who is involved with the planning, designing and execution of work where the surface of the ground is penetrated from directors through to operatives, or those who want to gain an appreciation of the dangers associated with underground services and the techniques employed to avoid them.
The requirements of HS (G) 47 including:
- Avoiding damage to underground services.
- Underground services colour coding system.
- Site / street furniture identification.
- Utility Plans & their limitations.
- Detection of underground services using cable avoidance tools. (CAT4+ & Genny4+)
- Detection of underground services using Genny mode with induction clamp and direct connection.
- Appreciation of underground mapping technology.
- Safe digging practises.
- Practical coaching session on the use of CAT4+ & GENNY4+ in a work environment.
- Examples of Safe Digging methods such as air lance and hydro excavation technologies.
The course / training will enable delegates to:
- Understand the requirements and implications of HS (G) 47.
- Understand the dangers associated with working near underground services.
- Gain an appreciation of cable avoidance tools & underground mapping technology.
- Implement safe digging techniques.
- Recognise where alternative excavation technologies can be employed.
HS (G) 47 is a comprehensive training package covering what a safe system of work for avoiding underground services must take into account. The course has been designed to be highly interactive with theory and practical sessions on both days which is facilitated by two trainers.
With a 6:1 ratio of delegates to trainer, a thorough knowledge/understanding of HS (G) 47 and cable avoidance tools in a practical location can be achieved by all delegates.
To ensure all candidates attending the course understand the operation and principle of how to use cable avoidance tools, the course includes a ‘one to one’ coaching session with a trainer using the equipment. To provide a realistic environment for the coaching sessions, it is preferred that the training course is carried out at an electrical substation. It may not always be practical but it is highly preferred to do this.
Safe digging practices are an essential part of all excavation work and in many cases could be the last line of defence. As a result, alternative excavation techniques are becoming more popular such as the use of Air Lances and Hydro-Excavation equipment; both are examples of non-invasive excavation techniques. Feedback from previous courses has found that most delegates have found this session very informative.
To maintain the quality of the course, and to ensure that all the candidates get the most from each session, group sizes are limited to a maximum of 12 delegates
The course can be undertaken at a number of locations such as construction sites or sub-station environment, dependant on the customers requirements, it is the client’s responsibility to provide suitable facilities, although under certain circumstances it may be possible to arrange the appropriate facilities on the client’s behalf. Please call for details.
A buffet lunch for delegates can also be arranged for an additional charge.
Development and Delivery of bespoke training
High level of course assessment
Competence focussed training
Industry recognised standards
Industry recognised accreditation with major power and utility customer base.